Mosher Clan!

Mosher Clan!

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What I've Learned!

Jon's and my first semester together is over. And what a whirlwind that has been! Between illnesses and finals and all the other things going on in life right now it's been a stressful time. Here are some things I've learned:

1. If you have an inclination that a class is going to be crappy, get out!
We have had such a horrible time in our Psychology Class; even the first day of class, our teacher stalled getting into the actual subject. Whenever she would "teach" she would make all of us get into groups and do "group-work", and even that she sucked at! She would give us a topic and guidelines to follow and then halfway through our work she would change everything. She ended up showing up to class and claiming that she had gotten West Nile Virus a month previously and told us that if she went missing that would be the reason, so lo and behold the VERY next class time she was nowhere to be found. She ended up calling a sub in and we had a sub for the next month. Even trying to contact her through email didn't work, she wouldn't respond and wouldn't keep us updated. The sub was almost worse than she was, she obviously hadn't told him what to do either and he deviated from the syllabus and gave us random assignments and then told us that none of them would go on our grade. Then after a month she showed back up again and emailed us the Friday before she got back on Monday and told us that we had to have a research topic ready and that we were going to be having a test. We had no idea how to do any of this because she had never told us how to do anything. So we show up on Monday and have our "topics" ready and then she would ask us how we were going to find research on them and how we were going to do everything and she wanted to know every minute detail when we didn't even know how to pose the research question in the first place. Then she wouldn't give us a study guide, she only told us it would be on certain chapters when she had no idea what we had been taught or what we had not been taught but we were allowed to have one 3x5 card that we could write notes on. And then she said that she was going to base our grade for the past month on the assignments that the sub gave, which half of us threw away because he told us they wouldn't count. Then she changed the syllabus and continued to be a crappy teacher. I think she eventually gave up because she started bringing in guest speakers, and ya know what? That's the only time I've learned anything! Then whenever we would ask a question she would say, "Oh I don't know that, you should google it." I'm sorry, why don't you know, these are questions about what you do for your job and you don't know? If I could get a degree from looking up things on google, I would have it by now and I wouldn't have to pay you to say, "look it up". I'll be done on her, main point: I should have dropped her class when I had the chance. She should never be allowed to teach another class ever again!

2. Class time is so much more fun with your best friend!
Having class with Jon has been the best part of this semester, he has been such an awesome support when I don't want to go to class and he's been a really awesome pusher (in a good way). I have LOVED having him next to me everyday in class. He is a smart, talented guy who has taught me lots of stuff just by sitting next to him. Next semester is going to be sad because of the fact that we won't have the same classes again... :( I have loved going to school with him.

3. Thank the teachers that have been awesome!
I have one teacher in particular who has been amazing!! Her name is Katie and she is my Sociology teacher. She is awe inspiring, she has been the best teacher ever! I have loved every minute of her class and I am so sad to be done with it. I had such a fun, fun time in Sociology figuring out how to save the world and make it better! She really has been a wonderful teacher and I am so grateful that I have been able to learn from her!

4. School just sucks all together!
It's true, I don't think there are many people who say that school is the best time of their life. Well, with the exception of my brother, Timy who would probably be a professional student if he could. I just hate school, it really isn't my strongsuit, but because of my dad I have to keep going at it and get that little bit of paper that says I finished. As stupid as I think that is, I know I have to do it, but it still sucks. And so I take solace in the fact that what I want to get my degree in doesn't take forever like some other people with lots of goals. Because honestly, my goal in life is to be a stay at home mom. I really want to do that, and I know that most feminists would freak out and tell me that I suck at being a woman, but it's true. That's what I want to do with my life, but until then, I have to get that stupid degree.

I think that's about all I have for today there will be more to come because there's lots going on in life...

No comments:

Post a Comment